That postcode does not appear to be valid.

Call now on 1300 968 328 for Express Plumbing


Areas we do service

Smell Gas? The Dangers Of A Gas Leak

The smell of gas is unmistakable, and we should all recognise it.

Smell gas? The dangers of a gas leak

The smell of gas is unmistakable, and we should all recognise it.

You can probably get a little whiff of it when you turn a stovetop burner on or light up a gas BBQ. But if you can smell gas strongly around your home or business, or feel ill when you’re near gas-burning appliances, then you may have a gas leak, which can be very dangerous.

The fact that you can smell gas is actually a safety feature for both LPG and natural gas. Both products have an odourant added, to allow people to smell them.

But it’s vital that you don’t just rely on your nose to keep you safe. Some gas leaks have no smell or taste at all, so proper gas leak detection should be a vital part of every home and business’ safety plan.

Gas leaks can ignite or explode

Both LPG and natural gas products are highly combustible.

Even a small concentration of leaked gas can ignite and explode, causing damage to both property and people.

Most gas leaks come from poorly fitted gas-burning appliances or corrosion of the pipes over time from rust, friction or age. Having your gas fittings checked and serviced regularly by a qualified technician can prevent most gas leaks.

It’s also important to ensure that any new gas appliances are installed correctly and checked for faults, and that a professional installs the gas pipes. Keep in mind that a gas leak and Carbon Monoxide leak are 2 very different/separate things and precautions should be taken for both.

Carbon monoxide leaks can poison you

There is another kind of gas leak, which has no smell and is difficult to detect on your own – carbon monoxide.

This gas cannot be seen, smelt or tasted, but it can kill quickly or cause long term damage to your health. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to flu, such as dizziness, drowsiness or headaches and shortness of breath.

Carbon monoxide leaks are usually caused by poorly fitted or maintained gas appliances, such as Gas Heaters and hot water systems. Very rarely would there be an issue with hot water gas leak unless it was inside. 

Gas leak detection is vital

The dangers of a gas leak in your home or business are serious, but they can be managed with a gas leak detection plan.

To protect against fire, people install smoke detectors. To protect against a gas leak, you can install a carbon monoxide monitoring unit. Talk to us about the installation of a CO Leak detector, it’s a quick and simple service.

These inexpensive pieces of gas detecting technology are simple to install and will bring long-term peace of mind to you and your family.

Another option is to have a licensed and qualified technician thoroughly check your home or business’ gas systems for leaks, checking the pipes and connection points for gas burning appliances. Sometimes even a quick check of the pressure at the gas mains is enough to detect a leak somewhere in the system. We have the technology to check all these fittings and appliances in a single visit.

So, if you can smell gas in your home or feel ill suddenly near a gas burning appliance, you may be in danger and need to take action. The problem will only get worse if left alone, increasing the chances of death, damage or injury.

Call Express Emergency Plumbing today on 1300 968 328 or contact us for more information about our detection units.